Also known as "chicken skin", this harmless condition where small bumps appear on your skin is incredibly common in children and adults alike.
It can appear as patches of small bumps on your arms, thighs and bum. The bumps can be red, white, skin-toned or darker than your skin. Sometimes it can feel itchy and can improve in the summer and worsen in the winter.
Many people have keratosis for years and it suddenly clears up by itself.
- Moisturise your skin daily with a product containing exfoliating properties.
- Use mild, unperfumed soap.
- Gently exfoliate your skin daily.
- Take cool or lukewarm showers and baths.
- Pat skin dry rather than rubbing it after bathing.
- Use perfumed skincare products and soaps that dry out your skin.
- Use harsh, scratchy exfoliating scrubs.
- Have hot baths or showers.
- Pick, squeeze or scratch your skin.